Short Dreads with Taper; Dreadlocks, or dreads for short, have been a popular hairstyle for centuries.
They originated in Africa and were worn as a symbol of spiritual or cultural significance. Today, dreads have become a popular hairstyle among people of all races and backgrounds. One variation of this classic style is short dreads with taper, which combines the edginess of dreads with the sharpness of a taper fade. In this article, we’ll explore this stylish and versatile hairstyle, and provide tips on how to achieve it.
What are Short Dreads with Taper?
Short dreads with taper is a hairstyle that features short dreadlocks on the top of the head, gradually fading into a shorter length or completely shaved sides and back. The taper fade creates a clean and sharp look, while the dreads add texture and personality. This style is versatile and can be customized to suit different hair textures and lengths.
Benefits of Short Dreads with Taper
There are several benefits to choosing short dreads with taper as your hairstyle:
- Low maintenance: Short dreads require less maintenance than longer dreads, and the taper fade adds a clean and polished look to the style.
- Versatile: Short dreads with taper can be styled in many different ways, including updos, buns, braids, and twists. They can also be accessorized with beads, cuffs, and other hair jewelry.
- Edgy and stylish: This hairstyle combines the edginess of dreads with the sharpness of a taper fade, creating a unique and trendy look.
How to Achieve Short Dreads with Taper
Here are some tips on how to achieve short dreads with taper:
- Start with clean and conditioned hair; Clean and conditioned hair will make it easier to section and twist your hair into dreads.
- Section your hair, Use a comb to section your hair into small, equal parts. The size of the sections will depend on your desired dread size.
- Twist your hair into dreads; Starting at the roots, twist each section of hair in the same direction until it forms a dread. You can also use a twisting gel or locking cream to help the process.
- Taper the sides and back; Use clippers or a trimmer to gradually fade the sides and back of your hair, leaving the top section longer.
- Style your dreads; You can style your short dreads in various ways, including braids, twists, buns, or updos. You can also accessorize them with beads, cuffs, or other hair jewelry.
To keep your short dreads with taper looking their best, here are some maintenance tips:
- Keep your hair clean: Wash your hair regularly with a residue-free shampoo to prevent buildup.
- Moisturize your hair: Use a leave-in conditioner or oil to keep your hair moisturized and prevent breakage.
- Retwist your dreads: To maintain the shape of your dreads, retwist them every 4-6 weeks.
- Trim your hair: Trim the tips of your dreads to prevent split ends and maintain their shape.
Short dreads with taper are a trendy and versatile hairstyle that can be customized to suit different hair textures and lengths. Whether you prefer a bold and edgy look or a more polished and refined style, this hairstyle is worth considering. By following the tips in this article, you can achieve and maintain your own unique version of short dreads with taper.